- Butter for greasing pan
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups sugar, divided
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup unrefrigerated Be Coconut Water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large egg whites
- Ready-to-use white cake frosting
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Butter and line 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper. Brush a layer of butter on the parchment paper and shake 1 tablespoon of flour around in pan. Turn pan upside down and remove excess flour.
- In a mixing bowl, mix 3 cups flour, baking powder, and salt to create dry mix. Whisk.
- Combine 1 ½ cups sugar and butter in a large bowl. Use a mixer to beat at medium speed until blended (approx. 2 ½ minutes) while adding 2 tablespoons additional sugar.
- Add a small portion of dry mix to sugar mixture. Slowly pour in coconut water. Alternate between dry mix and coconut water, ending with dry mix. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- To create egg mix, beat 6 egg whites on high speed and slowly add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat well. Carefully combine egg whites with batter, mix and pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Test with a wooden toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready to be removed from oven. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool on wired racks.
- Spread 1 cup icing on top and around all sides. Cover cake generously with coconut flakes. Refrigerate.